Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

It is the 2nd official day of Lent. When I was a kid, we had to give up something because we were told to do so. Now as an adult I think about the 40 days with more care. I think about Jesus in that Garden, praying, afraid and basically alone. So 40 days without sweets and FaceBook is a walk in the park. A bit o history here.....I was born and raised Catholic. My entire family has been Catholic. Like many young people, when I left the confines of my home and headed out so did my 17 years of my religious upbringing. Church gave way to sleeping late, parties and hangovers. My kids were baptised but, (I am ashamed) I fell short on the their religious education and no they were not confirmed. Fast forward to to the last 5 years. I think it may have started with hanging out with Amy (a Nazarene), or it may have happened because we have a cool Priest who LOVES flowers. I am unsure of the catalyst, but I slowly have been changing my ways. Amy also had a deep faith in her church and during the early days of our friendship we would talk religion. She gave a a daily use Bible of which I almost have it read (don't ever get behind!). Now that I am on the back half of my life I want more than ever to get back into the good graces of my church. So the third part of my Lenten journey is to submit the paper work required so that Dennis and I can receive confession and Communion. (More on that later).

No comments: