Saturday, October 24, 2009

Garden Girls gone Wild


Yipeeeeee. I found my pictures. All it took was a bit of patience and voila. Years ago after moving to Shelbyville I met up with these gals. Karla (on left), (Marla on right), and Dizi (in the middle)Dizi was my cohort at work. We were much younger with younger kids and all the fun that goes with that. Somewhere before your 40th birthday and around the time you baby gets his drivers license gardening becomes a good idea. I happens when a pot of petunias just wont do ya any more. Gardening evolves with age. We started out touring gardens and garden shops looking for certain special varieties of hosta. Became overjoyed with the knockout and was over the top with the Endless summer hydrangea. From there adding a few spendy trees for winter interest. Saturday Lifetime movies gave way to HGTV and we became fairly sophisticated. We would go to shows on container gardens, special sales and lunch after. My 42nd birthday included a limo to do our fall shopping. That was fun, tuned up on Mimosa's, traveling down the highway to Springfield only to pull up to Prairie Gardens and have the chauffeur let us out. Then after a goodly amount of time he loaded our purchases (10 or so plants) back in the trunk and we were off. The limo was a birthday surprise from my hubby (cool huh). We have been together for years now. I don't get to make the trips anymore because of the flower shop. It's very hard to make any plans in this business, something always comes up. BUT these girls still invite me to everything, they haven't given up on me. We are friends. Just like the Steele Magnolia's. Lots in our lives have changed. Kids are grown, and some have kids of their own. We endured problems with those cute little minions, overcame them. Had boyfriends and girlfriends enter and leave their lives. Lost a parent. Got another grandbaby. Healed a sick kid, and sent one off to war. We get together less and less it seems. From several times a year to 3-4 times. But they are still the same girls. Ready to jump in at a moments notice and bail me out of a bind. God Bless these girls, their hubbies and their children. I love them.

No comments: