Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Dennis File #2

As I said earlier Dennis (Poppy) bought me this amazing camera for my BD. We started walking on our new trail 3 Sundays ago for many reasons but one is to take pictures. While going through the shots I found one thing in common.........Dennis' fav shirt, a very raggy Bears sweat shirt that Danny bought him for Christmas 1996. It has washed down to a most comfortable weight ( I know this as I have worn it about the house, inside out OF COURSE). But sadly the cuffs and collar is nearly off and while it is fine for home he insists on wearing it out. In public!!!!
Now practically everyone I know has a favorite article of clothing. Thin, thread bare and a bit tattered. But most people reserve these pieces for lounging about the house. Not my Poppy. For instance. When we began dating Poppy had 2 unsomes a winter and a summer. The cold weather getup was a you guessed it Bears sweat pants a bit small, faded but in sweat pant land very,very short. Completing the look was a black and orange LP sweatshirt and sandals. While Poppy is a very handsome man the look did not match him whatsoever. He would proudly wear this down town Hayward in and out of stores OMG.....The summer look included old tank tops. You'll remember these, they were screen printed with that iron on stuff that eventually peeled away.....He bought them in 1968 or so after he returned from Viet Nam. I think he said they were3 for 5.oo. Can't remember the shorts all though to give ya'll a hint, he doesn't like the "new shorts" b/c they are too long, so are you getting the idea.......After a proper courting time had lapsed I brought up these clothes and their possible retirement, no go....they are my favorites and have special meaning....I get that, however, stop wearing them in public. It's a total nogo. What is a girl to do? We have teenage kids that are embarrassed enough with parents.... The big problem was how does one get their hands on these pieces? Poppy had his laundry done for him so the idea of having them disappear in the wash was out.....so patiently I waited until I was able to do his laundry for him, then like a stealth bomber, one by one they went away to sock land, ( that place somewhere between the washer and dryer that all missing socks go) never to be seen again.....................

No comments: