Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day Cont......

OK, I have no idea what I did, I had written a much longer story but I lost It, lets just see if I can get it back. Dennis did a tour in Viet Nam, it was the 60's and I was about 7 or so. ( Yes, there is quite an age difference). I really didn't know much about the war except for my neighbor girls big brother was killed. Most of my knowledge base comes from the barrage of films made in the 80's. The last movie I saw was Hamburger Hill and after that I just couldn't do it any longer. Dennis does talk of that time unlike manyother guys, at least he does give some details. One day in December most of his group was killed in a recon mission. Dennis still carries the srappnel, has a purple heart and can not have a MRI. His toes are a mess because his feet were wet for days maybe weeks, he lost several teeth b/c of the water but came home. There is a memorial at the park with the boots gun and helmet placed near each other, I had seen this in the movies and asked if that is what they did to mark a death, but Dennis said mostly they were flown away and that was it. This is serious stuff. There are LOTS of funny stories about this guy but not even I can poke fun at him today. Thank You Dennis.

No comments: